Monday, June 4, 2012

Guest Post: Healthy Food Alternatives

I hope you are all having a fantastic Monday! I have a guest post for you today from Emilie, she is a total sweetheart that blogs over at Hungry Delights. I love the idea of healthier alternatives to my favorite foods and this little food swap guide will help with those tough decisions! I'll let her take the reins now :) and don't forget to check her yummy blog out too! :)

Hi! My name is Emilie and you can usually find me over at Hungry Delights where I blog about my life, share photography, and most importantly, the foods I love.
Today I thought I would share some healthy food swapping ideas with Tia's readers, I am always looking for healthy alternatives and these are a few favorites that I try to live by.

Air-Popped Corn instead of potato chips - I love popcorn! I reminds me of going to the movies, it is also super healthy (only approx 100 cal for 3 cups).
Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream - sour cream can be pretty fatty, Greek yoghurt is a great alternative for cooking.  It still has that slight sour taste but much less fat and increased protein.
Avocado instead of butter - If you love a bit of butter on your toast, consider swapping it for some avocado. Avocado is packed with nutrients and healthy fats.
Brown Rice instead of white - White rice has been processed and stripped of all the nutrients of brown rice in particular, fiber which is important for the body and helps keep you fuller for longer.
Baby Spinach rather than lettuce - lettuce is so boring and old school, swap for baby spinach for a tastier and nutrient rich alternative.
Oatmeal instead of sugary cereals - While sugary cereals can be delicious they are full of sugar! You can expect a sugar high and then a slump mid morning, definitely not the perfect way to start your day. Try oatmeal instead and top with fresh berries for a lovely sweet kick :)

2 comments:

  1. Great suggestions. My favorite is avocado instead of butter. It's my favorite food. :)

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocados are so YUMMY :) What's your favorite way to eat them, Shannon?

    ReplyDelete